Here are some dangerous complications associated with over the counter acid reflux drugs & know how a lifestyle modification can give you relief.
Due to the commonality of acid reflux, we tend not to take this health issue as seriously as we should. Long-term acid reflux can increase our risk for cancer and the medications commonly prescribed for acid reflux are just as dangerous if not worse than the condition itself.
Gastroesophageal reflux also referred to as acid reflux, heartburn, GERD or indigestion is very common among all ages, over 25% of Americans suffer from symptoms and issues related to acid reflux.
What are the Common Causes of Acid Reflux?
- Unhealthy processed diet rich in acidic and greasy foods
- Consuming foods that one is intolerant to causing chronic inflammation
- Hiatal Hernias
- Imbalance of acids within the stomach
- Poor absorption of excess dietary carbohydrates
- Not fully developed digestive system (common in babies)
- Malnutrition resulting in an imbalance of stomach acids common in elderly
- Diagnosis with H. Pylori
- Overweight or obese
- Consuming too much food at one time
- Smoking Cigarettes
- Chronic medication use can cause inflammation of the digestive tract
- Low blood levels of magnesium can cause a malfunction in the sphincter function