List of healthy back to school snacks and lunch ideas.
School Lunches have to appeal to the eye. I have found the most success with setting up a child’s lunch like an appetizer sampler in a Bento Box. A Bento Box is a container with multiple compartments.
Try to include protein, healthy fats and color: fruit/veggie in each meal.
Some lunch examples include:
- Hummus, chopped veggies, rolled nitrate free cold cuts, and almond thin crackers or pita chips.
- “make your own pizza” pita bread, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, spinach, turkey pepperoni, with a side of fruit.
- Yogurt parfait- Greek yogurt with rolled oats or a low sugar granola, fresh fruit and chopped nuts.
- Sliced apples, peanut or almond butter, hardboiled egg, 1-2 oz. cheese, and mini English muffin or bagel.
- Corn Chips, guacamole, salsa, rolled chicken nitrate free deli meat, and ¼ c trail mix with dried fruit and nuts.
- Black bean soup in a thermos, wheat crackers and chopped fruit.
- Cold cut sandwich on Ezekiel bread with veggies and hummus with a side of chopped fruit and 1-2 tbsp. nuts.
- Chopped fruit, nut butter and a homemade protein muffin.
- Chicken or tuna salad with wheat crackers, spinach, and a side of chopped fruit.
A great resource for children’s lunches and recipes is 100daysofrealfood.com Green Box League of Nutritious Justice.
Snack options can be one or two of the items listed in the lunches above.
- Yogurt and fruit
- Hummus and chopped veggies
- Berries and nuts
- Sliced apple and cheese
- Trail mix with dried or fresh fruit
- Rolled deli meat with cheese and veggies
- Protein muffin