Generation X’s Health Tips
By: Dr. Keith Kantor
Research has shown that generation X is the unhealthiest generation.
The concept of this article is to show how we can change that with
simple easy changes to our nutrition, lifestyle and the water we
consume. These simple changes can make generation X healthier and
if followed closely maybe make it the healthiest generation.
- Best type of exercise for generation X. A diverse exercise program that incorporates strength training, cardiovascular, core and flexibility is best. Sometimes this generation can think more is always better, but if they are stressed they are probably also inflamed with health issues. A intense workout day followed by a more restorative workout day like (yoga and/or Pilates) can provide both physical and metal benefits to this tightly wound generation. Slowing down may be exactly what they need to improve their overall health on the inside and out.
- Quality Sleep is often overlooked. It is best to wind down in the evenings and turn off work and stress. Going for a walk outside, taking a bath, reading, and turning the high wattage light off can do wonders for improving sleep. Melatonin and Magnesium are both natural supplements that can also improve quality of sleep.
- Nutritional Supplements are preferred over prescription medications. Due to the conventional farming practices in our country, it is nearly impossible to obtain daily vitamin and mineral requirements through food alone. The soil is simply over cropped and low in nutrients. I suggest taking a high quality multi vitamin/ mineral, omega 3 fish oil, and a multi-probiotic. Other supplements may be recommended individually by your health care provider based on labs and symptoms such as vitamin D for deficiencies.
- Hydration and the type of water to drink. Everyone should drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of hydroxide alkaline water per day. Hydroxide rich water can reduce acid and inflammation especially for those who are dealing with chronic disease like high blood pressure or Type 2 Diabetes or Pre Diabetes. This is because the hydroxide ion OH-, seeks out and combines with the H+ ions (which cause acidity, which causes acidosis, which causes inflammation. The best hydroxide alkaline water my research has found is AQUA OH-!, it is the purest, all natural and comes as a concentrate so it is at least 250% less than all other alkaline waters and works better.
- Limit eating out, restaurants are heavy in sodium and unhealthy fats. Avoid pre-packaged foods, most contain harmful chemicals like dyes, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils. Zero calorie artificially sweetened drinks are also on the avoid list, most contain aspartame, saccharin or sucralose which have all been linked to cancer. Also reduce alcohol consumption, this generation tends to let loose and binge drink on the weekends or in the evening. Practice moderation and avoid developing bad habits.
- Include these “super foods.” Heart healthy fats from coconut oil, nuts and seeds have been shown to help prevent or manage symptoms of dementia. A ratio of 3:1 vegetables to fruit for a total of 9-11 servings of fruits and vegetables. Dark fruits are the lowest in sugar (i.e. berries) and fibrous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, etc. are best.
- Alternative therapies. Our culture is not very proactive when it comes to our health, we wait till something is hurting or wrong to make changes. Alternative therapies like massage, and acupuncture can be beneficial to maintaining optimal health.
- Reduce Screen time. We have become accustomed to sitting, this generation is watching movies or Television instead of moving and playing outside with friends and family.
- Start small with you healthier lifestyle. Limit screen time, cut back on eating out and aim to get 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night. Move more, invest in a activity monitor, start tracking steps and aim for at least 10,000 per day.
- De clutter and organize. Environment is important, if we feel calm and happy in our home, car and office then it seems to make life less complicated and stressful. Purge old clothes, shred old documents, and get rid of things in your home you no longer use. There is so much research that point to stress and having clutter and disorganization around you. This is an ongoing process.