By: Dr. Keith Kantor
This recipes is great for vegans who are in recovery from alcoholism because it does not contain any ingredients that would stimulate the opiate receptors, these receptors are also responsible for addictive trigger behavior. The heart healthy fats from the almond flour and coconut oil along with the whole unprocessed low sugar vegetables, potatoes and beans all help suppress the opiate receptors.
Photo Credit-my whole food life
- 2 sweet potatoes
- ½ c black beans
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1/4 large red or yellow onion
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 2 T flaxseeds
- ½ t coconut oil
- 1 T lemon juice
- 3 T. Water
- Boil sweet potatoes until soft
- Chop onion
- Once potatoes are soft, place into food processor or high-power blender. Add onion and kale and pulse.
- In approximately 30 seconds, turn off and add almond meal, flaxseed, water, oil, and juice.
- Pulse until everything is combined.
- Fold in beans with spatula and form mixture into patties, and set on a cookie sheet.
- Use your hand or a spatula to flatten burgers, and place entire baking sheet into the refrigerator for at least 30-60 minutes, allowing the burgers to hold form.
- After chilled, heat thin layer of avocado oil in a skillet and place burgers in the skillet, flipping over once they are golden brown.