- Is gravy keto? How/Why? No, traditional gravy contains flour which is a simple starch/carbohydrate and does not fall into a keto approved food because the carbohydrates from the flour will not allow an individual to remain in ketosis. The exception to this would be if you only used a small amount of the traditional gravy that stayed under the recommended grams of carbohydrates per day to keep you in ketosis. Typically this would be difficult.
- Are there only certain types of gravy that are keto? (ex. is the packaged powder version keto, etc.)
You would need to look at the ingredients, and number of carbohydrates per serving to determine if it fit your keto program. I would recommend that you avoid prepackaged gravy due to the high amount of preservatives and chemicals that they contain.
- If not already keto, what substitutions can we make so
that gravy is keto? It is best to make your own homemade version of gravy that fits into the keto guidelines.
Keto Approved Gravy Recipe:
- 2 cups Bone Broth
- 1.5 Tbsp. Gelatine Powder or Xanthan Gum
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- Add the stock and gelatin or xanthan gum into a saucepan, and simmer for 8-10 min.
- Remove the stock from the heat for 2 mins, and add the egg yolk, stirring hard and quickly.
- Place the stock back on a low heat and add the butter. Stir well.